This is actually a long-standing commercial application that is available as VMWare Server on a free of charge basis. As with many applications a free version of the product is given away to promote the commercial application, however in this instance the free version if very competent and very usable in it’s own right.
We would recommend you consider using KVM as a preference, but you may have a specific reason for using VMWARE in particular in which case – read on.
The free VMware Server is based upon VMware’s proven virtualization technology. With this robust yet easy to use software you can:
- Accelerate server provisioning by building a virtual machine once and deploying it multiple times
- Easily evaluate software in ready-to-run virtual machines without installation and configuration
- Simplify IT testing of patches, new applications and operating systems by allowing systems administrators to test in a secure virtual machine environment and be able to roll back to a clean state by using the snapshot feature
- Re-host legacy operating systems such as Windows 2000, Windows NT Server 4.0 and Windows 2003 in a virtual machine running on new hardware and operating system
- Leverage pre-built, ready-to-run virtual appliances that include virtual hardware, operating system and application environments from the Virtual Appliance Marketplace
For more information, please visit the VMWARE Website.
- An Introduction to Linux as a Server
- Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM)
- No single point of failure …
- UK Gov & OS – revisited
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.