Manual Section... (8) - page: update-passwd
NAMEupdate-passwd - safely update /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group
DESCRIPTIONupdate-passwd handles updates of /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group on running Debian systems. It compares the current files to master copies, distributed in the base-passwd package, and updates all entries in the global system range (that is, 0-99).
OPTIONSupdate-passwd follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes ('-').
- -p, --passwd-master=FILE
- Use FILE as the master copy of the passwd database. The default value is /usr/share/base-passwd/passwd.master.
- -g, --group-master=FILE
- Use FILE as the master copy of the group database. The default value is /usr/share/base-passwd/group.master.
- -P, --passwd=FILE
- Use FILE as the system passwd database. The default value is /etc/passwd.
- -S, --shadow=FILE
- Use FILE as the system shadow database. The default value is /etc/shadow.
- -G, --group=FILE
- Use FILE as the system group database. The default value is /etc/group.
- -s, --sanity-check
- Only perform sanity-checks but don't do anything.
- -v, --verbose
- Give detailed information about we are doing. A second -v gives additional detail.
- -n, --dry-run
- Don't do anything but only show what we would do.
- -L, --no-locking
- Don't attempt to lock the account database. This should only be used for debugging purposes. I repeat: do not do this unless you are really sure you need this!
- -h, --help
- Show a summary of how to use update-passwd.
- -V, --version
- Show the version number
BUGSAt this moment update-passwd does not verify the shadow-file. It should check if the entries in the passwd are also in shadow and vice versa, and that passwords are not present in both files.
AUTHORWichert Akkerman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This program was written for the Debian project, and is copyright 1999-2002 Wichert Akkerman and copyright 2002, 2003 Colin Watson. It is distributed under version 2 of the GNU General Public License.
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 15:28:10 GMT, June 11, 2010