Manual Section... (1) - page: znew
NAMEznew - recompress .Z files to .gz files
SYNOPSISznew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.Z ... ]
DESCRIPTIONZnew recompresses files from .Z (compress) format to .gz (gzip) format. If you want to recompress a file already in gzip format, rename the file to force a .Z extension then apply znew.
- Force recompression from .Z to .gz format even if a .gz file already exists.
- Tests the new files before deleting originals.
- Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file compressed.
- Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression).
- Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage.
- Keep a .Z file when it is smaller than the .gz file
SEE ALSOgzip(1), zmore(1), zdiff(1), zgrep(1), zforce(1), gzexe(1), compress(1)
BUGSZnew does not maintain the time stamp with the -P option if cpmod(1) is not available and touch(1) does not support the -r option.
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 15:26:03 GMT, June 11, 2010