KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.
What software is installed on the KNOPPIX-CD?
The following Highlights are available in this Debian-based (www.debian.org) CD:
- Linux-Kernel 2.4.x and 2.6.x
- KDE as the standard desktop with K Office and the Konqueror WWW-browser konqueror
- X Multimedia System (xmms) an MPEG-video, MP3, Ogg Vorbis Audio player and xine
- Internet connection software kppp,pppoeconf (DSL) and isdn-config
- Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)
- utilities for data recovery and system repairs, even for other operating systems
- network and security analysis tools for network administrators
- OpenOffice(TM), the GPL-developed version of the well-known StarOffice(TM) office suite
- many programming languages, development tools (including kdevelop) and libraries for developers
- in total more than 900 installed software packages with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.